Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why the 4:30 PM Time Out?

For the nearly four years I've been saddled with, ERRRRRRRR, using Volusion, I've noticed that the system times out every day like clockwork right around 4:30 PM Eastern time. It doesn't seem to matter what time I first logged in, or the last time I logged in, it still times out and I have to re-enter my username/password credentials at that time.

Why does this matter?

Well, assume you're processing a PO over this 4:30 mandatory time out period, or even worse, you're creating a phone order with a customer on the line, and you go to place the order and what happens?

You get an error:


Aah, yes. The Joyous Reference #000000™ error. The beautifully annoying white screen with the red box error where Volusion doesn't give you one shred of feedback as to what the problem is, only that you've done something wrong, and by god, you'll have to figure it out because the system is to G-D f*&#ed up to provide a helpful clue as to what is the problem.

There is a solution to this 4:30 PM timeout issue, one that I implemented during my second year of Volusion incarceration:

The 4:20 coffee (ahem) break.

No comments:

Post a Comment