Monday, July 9, 2012

More Fun with Field Names

I mentioned in a recent post about the inconsistencies in Volusion's nomenclature of field names, particularly as it relates to the field names in the back office not matching the field names on import. Well, as if that wasn't enough, Volusion has a different set of field names for customizing the results on a product search. This is vitally important if you do any importing/exporting in Volusion, as this is the only way you can export specific values based on a specific field search (rather than exporting the values from the entire database). However, the frustrating part is figuring out what each of the field names are in the Customize pop-up.


Some values make sense, or at least can easily be figured out. For instance:
Vendor_PartNo = Vendor Part # 
Others are a little bit trickier:
HideProduct = Hidden
But some require you to hunt throughout the entire list to find:
HowToGetSalePrice = Get Sale Price

When I'm looking for a value, I'm going to search for it alphabetically. Therefore, I search for this value in the H section. Nope.  Not there. Fortunately, G is close to H, so it's not too hard to find.

Others values simply aren't options to be displayed in the output, such as Accessories. Which means if you want to modify what accessories are listed for each product, you have to download THE ENTIRE G-D DATABASE.

I keep asking myself, is there a QA department at Volusion?  Does anybody there actually test this stuff like a user?

I think I already know the answer to that question...

No comments:

Post a Comment