Friday, June 29, 2012

The Admin Toolbar

Volusion has an admin toolbar that allows you to make live edits directly from the live site if you're logged in. Turning off the admin toolbar is an absolute necessity if you plan on actually testing the live site while you're logged in and making changes on the back end. Turning off the admin toolbar is easy - I have a link on my browser for doing so every time I trash the cache on my browser (which is about three times a day because of all of the problems I encounter with this service/product).

However, turning the stupid thing back on when you want to try to use it?  Good luck.  It should be as simple as toggling a switch on the URL from &admintoolbar=off to &admintoolbar=on.

If only that were the case.

I spent ten minutes trashing cache, removing items and playing around trying to get the stupid thing to come back on before I finally gave up and began the process of locating and manually adjusting the items I needed to adjust in the back office. A few minutes later, magically, it returned.  Of course, the things I wanted to change weren't available with the admin toolbar feature.

C'est la vie...

2 comments:

  1. Its as easy as checking the box called "Enable on page editing". Done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, Tom...the whole point of the post is that sometimes I want to be able to toggle between on-page editing and having all of the annoying yellow boxes of the on-page editing turned off without having to go into the admin area and find the feature and turn it off, then trash the cache and re-open the browser. Hence the URL switch (which doesn't work properly, as outlined above).

    ReplyDelete